Compliance and Surveillance Associate
Location – New York, NY
Lime Brokerage LLC is an agency only broker dealer catering to sophisticated traders and clients who need access to the US equities and options markets. We provide technology capable of handling large volumes of order flow while utilizing various systems and reports to monitor and conduct surveillance of their trading activity. We have offices in New York, Chicago, and Waltham, MA. Compliance staff oversee the firm’s surveillance and monitoring programs covering large volumes of transactions each day.
In this role you will work as part of a team with Compliance and Operations staff including members of our Execution Services, Engineering, and other teams and should be comfortable working in a technical environment. You will be expected to communicate with customers about their activities and evaluate and make assessments of alerts and transaction records and make reports to others in the firm.
You will be part of a team whose primary responsibilities, among other things, include monitoring and conducting surveillance of trade activity. However, in this role you will also be expected to perform other tasks and have responsibility for other, general compliance matters managed by the Compliance Department.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Support the firm’s overall compliance program including surveillance and monitoring programs for trading activity in the US equities and options markets. This includes but is not limited to:
- Review system generated alerts and reports for potential violations of securities laws and regulations, including potentially disruptive and/or manipulative behavior;
- Communicate with customers about their trading activities;
- Interface with Operations, Engineering, and other staff;
- Communicate with Lime’s third party surveillance system vendors as needed;
- Test alert parameters to help fine tune and calibrate the firm’s surveillance;
- Perform daily and periodic reviews of exceptions and alerts and reports as needed;
- Escalate matters requiring further review or consideration by management or supervisory staff;
- Prepare and maintain documentation as evidence of reviews;
- Assist with the preparation of responses to regulatory inquiries requiring input concerning surveillance, transaction analysis, and other findings;
- Assist Compliance staff with other general compliance and regulatory responsibilities in all areas, as needed, including testing, periodic reviews, developing and revising procedures, exchange memberships and registrations, anti-money laundering, and other matters.
Ideal candidate will have an undergraduate degree with 5 or more years of experience in the brokerage/financial services industry. At least 2 or more years preferred with direct experience in broker dealer activities including trading, monitoring or surveillance of trading activity, operations, compliance, or regulatory surveillance.
- Strong understanding of the US equities and options markets and structure;
- Knowledge of various SEC, FINRA, exchange and marketplace rules;
- Familiarity with patterns of potentially manipulative order placement and trading behavior;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- A strong analytical background and strong technical aptitude including the ability to work with and prepare spreadsheets involving large amounts of data;
- Ability to identify trends and relationships involving client order placement and trading activity and market data and activity;
- Superior spreadsheet and document skills;
- Experience with SMARTS or other automated surveillance programs;
- Ability to absorb large amounts of information in a high energy, fast paced environment;
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment; and,
- Qualifications demonstrated through work experience and/or industry training (series 7, 57, 24 and other examinations).